Editorial Board

Student Association leadership should encourage voting in a campus-wide email

Molly Gibbs | Asst. Photo Editor

Student Association elections close on Thursday at 11:59 p.m.

The Daily Orange Editorial Board calls on Student Association President James Franco and Vice President Angie Pati to encourage students in a campus-wide email to vote in SA elections this week.

SA’s administration sent out a reminder email near the beginning of the election cycle last spring to encourage student participation. And following the 2017 election, in which fewer than 2,500 students participated, SA should continue to inform students about voting considering the organization exists to represent Syracuse University’s undergraduate student body.

This communication is essential, especially when information about the elections rarely goes beyond the presidential and vice presidential spots. With comptrollers and college representatives also included on the ballot, something as simple as a brief email or paragraph explaining each position and the candidate’s platform can highlight the importance of these positions and the effects they have on student life.

The current SA presidential candidates have emphasized administrative transparency, and now is the time to ensure student voices aren’t lost due to a lack of awareness.

To vote in this year’s election, go to MySlice’s “Student Services” section. Voting closes on Thursday at 11:59 p.m.

The Daily Orange Editorial Board serves as the voice of the organization and aims to contribute the perspectives of students to discussions that concern Syracuse University and the greater Syracuse community. The editorial board’s stances are determined by a majority of its members. You can read more about the editorial board here. Are you interested in pitching a topic for the editorial board to discuss? Email opinion@dailyorange.com.